← guest postin’… his and hers… →
happy Earth day!
April 22, 2012
Happy Earth Day, friends! Today is the perfect day to commit to make a change in your lifestyle, even small tweaks can make a big difference. And it doesn’t take long for something to become a habit, so something that seems like a big step at first will quickly become part of your normal routine!
I really hate wasting resources and materials and people often joke that I’m cheap, but that’s okay because I know that these are good steps for living more eco-friendly, and sometimes you even save money as a side effect :) Remember, these are not from a place of judgement- just ideas of things that have worked seamlessly into my life.
Some of my favorite/easy ways to be more green:
- THRIFTING! This is probably the most fun step too :)
- Bringing your own bags to the grocery store. It can be hard to remember at first but it quickly becomes second nature and something your brain just associates with grocery shopping. Plus they are a heck of a lot cuter than gross, plastic bags that only hold a couple things. I leave mine in the car so I never forget.
- Cutting back on the meat. You don’t have to go full-vegetarian, even taking a step like Meatless Monday is a big deal! Who knows? Maybe you’ll like it enough to go cold turkey! :)
- Turn off the water when your brushing your teeth and the lights off when you leave a room. This might sound silly, but I’m always surprised by how many people travel from room to room and leave the lights on! If I’m home alone at night, I do allow myself an extra light in another part of the house. I get scared :)
- Adjusting your thermostat. In the full swing of summer, AZ temps are always in the triple digits requiring AC use. We keep our thermostat warmer than most people I know because I don’t like too drastic of a temperature change, and I find that I’m comfortable there. If you find yourself reaching for a blanket when the AC is on, or wearing shorts/t-shirts with your heater on- your thermostat could go a few degrees in the other direction!
- Bring your own bottle for drinks. I carry a .6L Sigg bottle with me EVERYWHERE. It comes with me to school, work, errands, and vacation. Heck, my current bottle has been around the country and to Europe twice and has the dents to prove it :) It’s way more convenient and has become such a security blanket, I never leave home without it. Coffee shops usually give you discounted prices too, if you bring your own travel mug/tumbler.
- Plan your driving wisely. One thing I dislike about where I live, is I have to pretty much drive everywhere. I really dislike driving and feel guilty about doing it frivolously, so I really plan out my trips. I try to plan my errands on the same day, and figure out my route before leaving so that it is the most efficient.
- Remember that Recycle is the last step in the 3 “R”s. It’s obviously really important to recycle, but try to remember to reduce and reuse first, if possible!
I don’t talk about this sort of thing on my blog because there is SO much information out there and I don’t want to just recycle (haha!) what I read from other places. But… it’s a very important issue to me and in our home we are constantly trying to look into ways to live our lives comfortably but eco-consciously. I would love to hear any tips you have for incorporating earth-friendly practices into your lives!
We spent the afternoon drinking locally brewed beer so that’s a fun way to be green! :)
This entry was posted in day to day
and tagged earth day
← guest postin’… his and hers… →